Monday, March 9, 2009

Observation #1 - Toy Poodles


If you're a middle aged man ( I really hate that term, although I like thinking I'm going to live to be 102), you're probably married to a middle aged woman, unless of course you are wealthy or look like a young Adonis. When you reach middle age, sometimes your kids are married off and gone. There is a down side, whereas men look at "Empty Nest Syndrome" as a good thing, most women don't. When our kids left my wife wanted something to fill the void, something she could nurture, protect, care for and spoil and I wasn't it. So we got a toy poodle and since toy poodles are like potato chips, we got a second one. Now let it be known that I love my poodles, but in all reality they are balls of yarn with legs, very,very,very noisy balls of yarn.


The problem with toy poodles is that it is very hard to look manly walking a pair of toy poodles. I remember once we took them with us to visit my son at basic training with the Air Force at Sheppard AFB in Texas. Walking my poodles among all these armed military type men in uniform being trained to defend our great nation was not the biggest ego boost I'll ever have, think my son may feel the same way. I wouldn't be surprised if every time he runs into one of his training buddies they remember me, the guy with the two yapping balls of yarn and not the good times they had.


Another thing about toy poodles, let's face it, they're not going to provide much protection from your neighbor's cat let alone his pit bull. About the only thing I feel protected from are old squirrels that are not feeling particularly well at the moment. Having said that, it could be worse, we could have cats.

No comments:

Post a Comment