Monday, March 16, 2009

Observation # 8 - Clocks


OK, it's a couple weeks past daylight savings time and I have clocks that will still be wrong when we fall back in October. Some clocks are not meant to be changed. Watches, easy, dial clocks with wheels on the back, very easy. Digital clocks, not so much. There are some clocks not meant to be changed;

VCR's; forget it, just not possible so it's not worth discussing.

Cars; some cars are not too bad. My Taurus has it right, big buttons that say HOUR & MINUTE, push them and the time changes, life is good. However, some cars require an owner's manual to set. Usually something like "push the tuning knob and the power knob at the same time and turn the tuning knob clockwise until the proper time shows on the display and press set". Are you kidding me, how many fingers do they think I have? Also, they don't do that many things at the same time. Then there are those car clocks that have little tiny holes which require the insertion of a little tiny probe to change the time. What sick and twisted individual came up with that?

Digital Alarm Clocks in Hotels; I swear, there's an employee at the hotels who's specific job is to find the most difficult thermostats and alarm clocks on the market. These things have more buttons and settings than the normal clock, it's like someone designed it to confuse weary middle aged men trying to make their meetings on time. Most likely to go after their jobs once they get fired so they can get out of their miserable jobs at the hotels.

I have an atomic clock in my office at home. All I have to do is put batteries in it and it stays correct, now that's effective engineering! An interesting note, my father sent it to me, kind of like he knew what I was going to be suffering through, as if he lived it himself. Well done father, I'll be giving one to my son when he gets to be older. My daughter won't need one, she can set a clock like her mother, they just never let me in on the secret. I think there is a rite of passage thing between women, a "setting of the clock ritual" that men are not privy to.

I hate the guy that came up with daylight savings time............

1 comment:

  1. Its not that i dont know HOW to change the clock. Ive been taking notes from women for a while now and one common trend keeps popping up.. If i act like i dont know the hour button from the volume knob, my wife automatically assumes poor little old me cant do it... and just like that, the clocks all get changed for me. Its almost like magic.

    score:

    julie: 4,590,897,461
    john: 1

    ReplyDelete