Sunday, March 22, 2009

Observation #14 - Road Construction


Here in SLC there are some roads that seem to have been under construction since I left town in 1982 until I returned this year. How long do some of these projects take? They were problems in 1982 and are still problems in 2009. Sometimes as I sit in the perpetual traffic backups, I imagine myself sitting in my 1965 Impala SS on my way to classes at the University of Utah. I listen to oldies stations, many of us oldies do, and it just makes the experience feel more realistic. I feel like I did as youth, dating my soon to be wife, going to pick her up at her Dad's place and heading out for dinner at the Sizzler before we go see Donna Summers in concert. Then some soccer mom in a Range Rover honks because you didn't have that split second reaction she expects to pull up those next three feet and you snap out of it and realize you're in a Ford Taurus on the way to the airport to rush and catch a flight to Denver for business.

Sometimes road construction can make you remember what you miss..............

1 comment:

  1. We've decided that here they just like putting cones up everywhere - adds color without the landscapping cost or something. We have CONSTANT "construction" on our street...good times.
    Unfortunately I don't get the happy memory time, just the screaming kids and frustration! Maybe I will be the SUV honker someday...

    ReplyDelete